FCC Announces Tentative Agenda for October Meeting
The FCC has announced the tentative agenda for its October 25, 2019 meeting. The following items are on the tentative agenda:
The Regulatory Mix Today: FCC Announces Tentative Agenda for October Open Meeting, Rural Broadband Quality Standards, 911 Fee Parity, Broadcast Antenna Siting, Determination of Effective Competition, Tariff Rules, 800 MHz Band Reconfiguration
- Enforcing Rural Broadband Quality Standards – The Commission will consider an Order on Reconsideration that would ensure that carriers receiving high-cost universal service support to deploy rural broadband are accountable to consumers, taxpayers, and the Commission, while providing flexibility for smaller carriers, by making targeted modifications to the testing procedures that carriers must use to show that their networks perform at the Commission’s speed and latency standards. (WC Docket No. 10-90)
- 911 Fee Parity – The Commission will consider a Declaratory Ruling that would clarify section 6(f)(1) of the New and Emerging Technologies 911 Improvement Act of 2008 and ensure regulatory parity in 911 fees between VoIP services and traditional telecommunications services. (WC Docket No. 19-44)
- Broadcast Antenna Siting – The Commission will consider a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that would seek comment on whether the common antenna siting rules for FM and TV broadcaster applicants and licensees dating back to 1945 should be revised or eliminated given the current broadcasting marketplace. (MB Docket Nos. 19-282, 17-105)
- Petition for Determination of Effective Competition – The Commission will consider a Memorandum Opinion and Order that would find that Charter faces effective competition from AT&T’s online video streaming service in franchise areas in Massachusetts and Hawaii. (MB Docket No. 18-283)
- Tariff Rules Modernization – The Commission will consider a Report and Order that would amend its tariffing rules to better align them with the reality of easy electronic access to tariff filings. (WC Docket Nos. 18-276, 17-308)
- Expediting the Conclusion of the 800 MHz Band Reconfiguration – The Commission will consider an Order and Sixth Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that would streamline rules and procedures to expedite the successful completion of the 800 MHz band reconfiguration initiative, lower program costs and administrative burdens, and continue to alleviate interference to public safety licensees. (WT Docket No. 02-55).
The Regulatory Mix, Inteserra’s blog of telecom related regulatory activities, is a snapshot of PUC, FCC, legislative, and occasionally court issues that our regulatory monitoring team uncovers each day. Depending on their significance, some items may be the subject of an Inteserra Briefing.